Recipe by Sage
This pot roast is the recipe I have been making all my cooking life The secret is to find a cut of meat that is well marbled; chuck, boneless blade, shoulder roast. Talk to your butcher. Personally, I find the roast is juicier if you are not able to slice it, but chunk it to serve. If you own a Creuset or a dutch oven; now is the time to take it out. I don't so I use my cheap roast pan. Stilll comes out fabulous.
- 2721.55-3628.73 g roast beef blade roast
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 946.36 ml beef broth
- 2 onions, cut in 1/2
- 8 carrots
- 8 yukon gold potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat roast dry; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add roast; brown well on all sides, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove roast from pan and place in roasting pan.
- Add first batch of chopped onions and garlic. Cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add 2 cups broth; bring to boil and deglaze pan. Add to roast pan. Cover tightly; cook in preheated 350ºF oven for 3 hours.
- Arrange remaining onions, carrots, potatoes and remaining beef broth around roast. Cover and continue to cook for 2 hours or until vegetables and beef are tender.
- Remove beef and vegetables to serving platter; keep warm.
- Skim any fat from juices; pour both into gravy bowl.
- Slice meat or chunk up meat, arrange with vegetables on plates and spoon juices on top.