1/10 Photos of Beef Pot Roast (Pot, Oven or Slow Cooker)
6 hrs 45 mins
Yes, I know, lots of pot roast recipes here, but I tell you this is my all time favorite. Even better then the ones that you dump all of the pre packaged gravy mixes and salad dressings in the pot. Homemade, just like a good mid-western mom meant it to be!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 boneless beef roast, 2 1/2-3 lb, cut to fit pot or crockpot (chuck, shoulder or round)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 3/4 lb new potatoes or 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 lb carrots or 6 medium parsnips, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 2 celery ribs, bias-cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1Trim fat from meat. Brown meat on all sides in hot oil in a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven. Drain fat.
- 2Mix 3/4 cup water, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon, basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Pour over roast. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- 4Peel a strip of skin from center of each new potato or peel and quarter sweet potatoes.
- 5Add potatoes, carrots, onions and celery to pot. Return to boil. Reduce heat.
- 6Simmer covered, until tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Add water as needed.
- 7Transfer meat and vegetables to platter. Reserve juices.
- 8To prepare gravy, measure juices, skim off fat, and add enough water to make 1 1/2 cups. Return to Dutch oven.
- 9In a small bowl, stir 1/2 cup water into flour. Stir into pan juices. Cook, stirring, on medium heat until thickened, then 1 minute more. Season to taste. Serve with pot roast.
- 10For oven cooking: After browning meat and adding liquid mixture to pan, bake, covered, for 1 hour at 325 degrees. Prepare potatoes as directed. Add vegetables to meat. Bake, covered, until tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Make gravy as directed.
- 11For slow cooker: Trim fat from meat. Slice vegetables into a 4- to 5-quart crockery cooker. Put meat on top of vegetables. Mix the liquid mixture to cooker. Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours. Prepare gravy as directed.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Pot Roast (Pot, Oven or Slow Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.1
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 108.5 mg
- Sodium 193.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 37.7 g