From Woman's Day magazine, a pot pie with a mashed potato crust. Can be made ahead.
Make and share this Beef Pot Pie With Mashed Potato Crust recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 medium carrots, 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, thin wedges
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 325ºF. Have a shallow 3 quart baking dish ready.
- Coat meat with flour, shaking off excess. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Brown meat in 2 to 3 batches, adding more oil as needed. Remove to baking dish with a slotted spoon.
- Add carrots and onions to dish. Mix wine, garlic, salt and herbs. Add and stir to distribute. Cover tightly with lid or foil.
- Bake 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. (If making ahead, refrigerate stew and mashed potatoes separately up to 3 days.).
- To serve: (If made ahead, reheat stew, covered, in 375ºF oven 40 to 45 minutes until hot and bubbling). Increase oven temperature to 425ºF. Spoon mashed potatoes on stew and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer until edges of potatoes are golden brown.