Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Made almost in the style of sheperds pie, just with a twist of crust and the use of stew meat. My family loves this.
- 1 lb lean stew meat or 1 lb top round beef, cubed
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 cup of sliced carrot
- 1 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup red onion, sliced
- 2 pie crusts, one for the top and one for the bottom of dish
- cooking spray
- 2 ounces of idahoan brand instant mashed potatoes
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 -2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules or 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- extra-light virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon basil (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 1 cup sherry wine
- Take all your vegetables and cut up to your liking and mix together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Next prepare the package of Idahoan potatoes. Set aside
- Then take a gallon size storage bag and put flour, basil*optional, garlic powder, onion powder* optional, beef granules *if you go the granule route and pepper. Shake all the spices and flour together then add your beef. Shake together again with the beef till all the beef is coated. Set aside.
- Now take a large skillet add enough extra light virgin olive oil to cover the pan.
- Add about 2-3 tablespoons of butter and the soy sauce. Cook till the butter is melted, then add the garlic and cook till it starts to brown. Then add the beef. Cook on medium hi heat till it is browned well.
- Add the vegetables and continue to cook till the onion starts to wilt. Add the sherry and the beef stock* option. Watch it come to a sizzle and then stir. Turn the heat to low and cover. Let it continue to cook for about 10 minutes covered. Always keep an eye on it, stirring if necessary.
- The next step, take a 1 1/2 quart round cassarole dish and spray down with cooking spray. Put the pie crust on the bottom and shape it. As soon as it is shaped and formed to the dish, add the beef mixture. Then top with the mashed potatoes, smoothing it out all across the top. Then add enough shredded cheese to cover the top. The next step is to then cover the top with 2nd pie crust. Pinch the edges together and cut off extra if need be. Take a knife and slice a pattern on the top with little slivers, for it to breath and cook properly. You can optionally brush butter on top.
- Final step, bake at 375 for 30 minutes or till the crust is completely browned. Take out and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In ending, if you must, use vegetables that you like. Not everyone likes onions, carrots or garlic.
Yumm.. I left out the broccoli and onion but otherwise followed the directions. I even ate the mushrooms and carrots. Thank you for sharing.