Recipe by Tonkcats
the classic comfort food. We like to serve this one with onion gravy.
Top Review by Karl's Wife
My husband has been wanting meatloaf like mom used to make and after many failed attempts, THIS IS IT! I threw in 1/3 ground chicken and made it a Three Meat Loaf, topped off with the onion gravy....I'm going downstairs to make it again right now!
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 lb lean beef, ground
- 1 lb lean pork, ground
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Shape into a loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- If desired, spoon onion gravy over baked meatloaf slices.
- Onion Gravy Makes About 2 cups While this sauce was designed to be served on our Beef and Pork Meatloaf, it is amazingly versatile. Try it on mashed or baked potatoes, pork chops, steak or whatever! Use your imagination.
- Saute onion in butter for about 3-5 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Stir in flour and add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly.