Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A Sunday dinner - it needs a good 3 hours to cook - so do it on a lazy day when you want family and comfort.
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 2 beef bones with marrow (3/4 lb)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- potato gnocchi
- Pour ½ cup hot water over dried mushrooms in small bowl.
- Let stand for ½ an hour.
- Drain; reserving liquid.
- Strain liquid through a fine sieve lined with damp kitchen towel.
- Combine liquid and mushrooms.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over high heat.
- Add beef and bones in batches and brown well, turning frequently.
- Transfer beef and bones to large bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Add onions to pot.
- Reduce heat to medium and saute until transparent, about 10 minutes.
- Return beef and bones and any juices that have accumulated to pot.
- Add wine, bay leaves, cloves and salt.
- Boil until wine is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in tomato paste and mushrooms with their liquid.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth.
- Bring mixture to boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer gently until meat is tender, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours.
- Uncover and simmer until sauce is thick and chunky, about 25 minutes longer.
- Remove cloves and bay leaves (can be prepared 1 day ahead to this point).
- Serve with potato gnocchi and a green salad.
Delicious! I made some changes to this recipe, I omitted the marrow bones, also I increased the garlic to 3 tablespoons (one can never have enough garlic lol!) I sauteed the garlic with the onions along with a tablespoon of dried chili flakes and a jalapeno pepper. I plan on serving this on top of cooked rigatoni pasta, but the gnocchi sounds wonderful!, thanks Ev!...Kitten:)