3 hrs 15 mins
A Sunday dinner - it needs a good 3 hours to cook - so do it on a lazy day when you want family and comfort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour ½ cup hot water over dried mushrooms in small bowl.
- 2Let stand for ½ an hour.
- 3Drain; reserving liquid.
- 4Strain liquid through a fine sieve lined with damp kitchen towel.
- 5Combine liquid and mushrooms.
- 6Heat oil in large Dutch oven over high heat.
- 7Add beef and bones in batches and brown well, turning frequently.
- 8Transfer beef and bones to large bowl with a slotted spoon.
- 9Add onions to pot.
- 10Reduce heat to medium and saute until transparent, about 10 minutes.
- 11Return beef and bones and any juices that have accumulated to pot.
- 12Add wine, bay leaves, cloves and salt.
- 13Boil until wine is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- 14Mix in tomato paste and mushrooms with their liquid.
- 15Simmer 5 minutes.
- 16Add chicken broth.
- 17Bring mixture to boil; reduce heat.
- 18Cover and simmer gently until meat is tender, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours.
- 19Uncover and simmer until sauce is thick and chunky, about 25 minutes longer.
- 20Remove cloves and bay leaves (can be prepared 1 day ahead to this point).
- 21Serve with potato gnocchi and a green salad.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef, Porcini and Onion Stew
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.9
- Calories from Fat 382
- Total Fat 42.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 113.9 mg
- Sodium 573.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 34.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef bones with marrow