Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Kids of all ages enjoy this casserole!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning (or to taste)
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (26 ounce) jarfavorite pasta sauce (or use homemade)
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned sliced mushrooms, drained (I use the whole can!)
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (can use more)
- 1 (13 ounce) canrefrigerated prepared pizza crust (or use you own own recipe)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- Set oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef with onions, garlic, green bell pepper and dried chili flakes until the beef is no longer pink (about 10 minutes) drain and return to skillet.
- Add in the 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Add in 1/4 cup flour; stir until well blended.
- Add in pasta sauce and mushrooms; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; simmer for about 10 minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the ground beef mixture into the baking dish, then sprinkle with about 2 cups mozza cheese.
- Unroll the pizza crust and place on top of the cheese (tucking edges into baking dish if necessary).
- Brush the top of the crust with olive oil, then sprinkle with about 1-2 cups mozza cheese, then sprinkle with about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle with about 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning on top of the cheeses.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until browned (if you are using you own prepared pizza crust the baking time may be longer).
Good and tasty and different with the crust on top, but we'll do it with the crust on the bottom next time as it is easier to cut. The filling is spicy and rich and extremely filling. This is even better, reheated, the next day.
This was delicious. It is very filling, I still had plenty of leftovers for lunch today. Even after the four of us tore into it like rabid wolves! LOL Thanks Kittencal for the upside down pizza(that's what my youngest DD called it)!