Recipe by Boomette
Recipe from The Taste of Home Cookbook : Begin your Greek menu with this tasty version of a traditional gyro. With tender seasoned beef and sauteed onions, this is sure to be a hit. It's topped with an easy-to-make yogurt sauce.
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 whole gyro-style pita bread, warmed (6 inches)
Directions See How It's Made
- For sauce, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, parsley, garlic and salt. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper; add beef. Seal bag and toss to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in 2 tsp oil until golden brown. Remove and keep warm. Saute beef in remaining oil until no longer pink. Serve beef and onion on pitas with yogurt sauce.