Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe from The Taste of Home Cookbook : Begin your Greek menu with this tasty version of a traditional gyro. With tender seasoned beef and sauteed onions, this is sure to be a hit. It's topped with an easy-to-make yogurt sauce.
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 whole gyro-style pita bread, warmed (6 inches)
- For sauce, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, parsley, garlic and salt. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper; add beef. Seal bag and toss to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in 2 tsp oil until golden brown. Remove and keep warm. Saute beef in remaining oil until no longer pink. Serve beef and onion on pitas with yogurt sauce.
This was really good! I loved the rosemary and oregano flavors. Also, cutting everything into strips makes it easy to stuff in a pita.
Yum, so simple and tasty! The rub for the beef really brought out the flavor and the yoghurt sauce was delicious. Sweet onions aren't so common here so the only change I made was to use red onion instead and added a little extra garlic to the sauce.