4 hrs 30 mins
André Grisell's Note:
A classic Vietnamese soup. Great for beef-lovers. The stock can be made one day in advance, and you should use fresh herbs. Not inexpensive, but lasting. There is no substitute for the elaborate stock, unfortunately.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the stock
- 2 lbs beef shank or 2 lbs beef brisket
- 1 lb oxtails or 1 lb beef bone
- 1 lb lean stewing beef, in one piece
- 2 ounces fat (e.g. lard)
- 1 large onion, with peel
- 3 ounces fresh ginger, with peel
- 5 star anise
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1Tie up the stewing beef nicely.
- 2Put all the meats for the stock into a pan together with the fat, the sliced onion, star aniseed, cinnamon stick and ginger.
- 3Roast in a hot oven for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until everything is well browned.
- 4Move everything to a large pot.
- 5Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- 7Add coriander seeds and white pepper.
- 8Let simmer for at least three hours.
- 9Take up the stewing beef and let cool, then slice thinly.
- 10Strain the stock.
- 11If made one day in advance; keep cool and remove the fat on the second day.
- 12Prepare the garnish: Slice the (raw) fillet of beef thinly (as for Carpaccio).
- 13Boil the noodles according to instructions on the package, then drain and rinse with cold water.
- 14Arrange the garnish (not the noodles; see below!) nicely on a big plate.
- 15Bring the stock to a boil, add fish sauce to taste.
- 16When serving, put noodles and stewing meat either into a large serving bowl, or into individual soup bowls.
- 17Add stock and heat to boiling point (possibly in a micro-owen).
- 18Serve devilishly hot.
- 19The guests put the garnish into their soup and the raw meat will be partially cooked from the heat of the stock.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Pho
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 931.4
- Calories from Fat 448
- Total Fat 49.8 g
- Saturated Fat 20.4 g
- Cholesterol 201.7 mg
- Sodium 698.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 72.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
filet of beef