Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This pasta and beef casserole is sure to become a family favorite.
- 1 lb dry penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup red wine or 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon instant beef bouillon
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook beef and onion in large saucepan stirring occasionally until beef is no longerpink.
- Add water tomato paste wine and boullion; cck stirring occasionally for 15- 20 minute.
- Layer in ungreased 13 x 19 inch baking dish 1/2 paste 1/2 sauce 1/2 cheese.
- Repeat layers cover and bake for 20-25 min or until heated through and cheese is melted.
It was tasty, but ours turned out quite dry.
I really enjoyed this, however I did make a few substitutions. I used ground turkey instead of beef and I added some roasted garlic to it while I browned it with the onion. I also found that it was a little bland so next time I definitely think I might add some salt, pepper, and maybe even some Itilian seasoning to the tomato paste mixture. I also didn't layer mine. Instead I just mixed everything together and then sprinkled some extra cheese on top and baked it. It was a huge hit! Thanks for posting!
I was going to post this recipe also! I have made this and it is really good. one of the things I do different is that I use a large jar of spagehetti sauce because we like more sauce. I also do not layer this, I just mix mine all together and put it in a casserole dish.