Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A lighter alternative to the usual taco salad. For a spicy kick, add some pickled nacho jalepeno peppers.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 large avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 cup crushed corn tortilla chips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup salsa, plus
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, Worcestershire, chili powder, oregano, and salt, and mix well. Form into 16 small patties about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat until hot enough to make a few drops of water sizzle. Put the patties on the hot pan and cook until brown grill marks appear on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn over and cook until the meat is no longer pink in the center but still juicy, 2 to 3 minutes, or to the desired degree of doneness. Leave the patties on the pan off the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, beans, tomato, avocado, tortilla chips, cilantro and scallions, and toss gently. Add the oil, venegar, lime juice, and 1/4 cup of the salsa. Toss again to mix.
- To serve, divide the salad among 4 large plates. Arrange 4 patties on each salad and top each with one-fourth of the cheese. Garnish each salad with a drizzle of sour cream and 1/2 tablespoon of salsa.