Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
In ‘Come Home to Supper’ by Christy Jordan
- 18 saltine crackers (1/2 sleeve)
- 1 large egg
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups hot cooked rice, for serving
- Crush the saltines and place them in a large bowl.
- Add the egg and ground beef and mix well with your hands.
- Form the beef mixture into four ½-inch thick patties.
- Place the patties in a Dutch oven or slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, stir together the ketchup, Italian seasoning, and 1/3 c water.
- Pour the ketchup mixture over the beef in the pot and top with the onion and bell pepper.
- If using Dutch oven—cover, place over medium heat, and cook 1 ½ hours.
- If using slow cooker, cover and seal the pot and cook until the beef patties are tender and no longer pink in the center, 7-8 hours on LOW, 3-4 hours on HIGH.
- Serve the patties over hot cooked rice with the gravy spooned on top.