Recipe by hottiecj
At our house we call this recipe "cube steaks" but it's actually ground round patties smothered in a delicious gravy. Very simple and perfect for those on a strict budget as we are. :) Serve with lots of hot mashed potatoes, and the gravy spooned over everything. :) This recipe can easily be doubled for a larger group. Make sure you're sitting when you taste this one- it's been known to make the knees buckle-it's THAT good! And don't be alarmed if you find yourself in a wrestling match over the last of the gravy, that's perfecly normal. Enjoy!!
Top Review by GibbyLou
I have made this several times. I usually use 1 pound of lean ground beef and make 4 patties. I found that 1/4 cup of flour is plenty for coating the patties and the gravy still seems to thicken without the extra flour. This was yummy and enjoyed by the whole family. They especially liked having gravy for their mashed taters! Thanks for sharing.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground round
- 1 cup flour
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Salt a large,deep skillet and heat to medium.
- Divide ground beef into about 8 thin patties and dredge in the flour, coating well. (patties will fatten up when you cook them.).
- Brown patties on both sides and set aside, leaving in any drippings and stuck flour to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn off heat and add soup, bullion cubes, milk and water to the pan. (bullion cubes will dissolve during cooking.).
- Bring gravy to a simmer, mixing well.
- When gravy starts to simmer add beef patties back in and cover.
- Simmer covered for about 20 min, stirring occasionally, until gravy is thickened. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Yummy!