At our house we call this recipe "cube steaks" but it's actually ground round patties smothered in a delicious gravy. Very simple and perfect for those on a strict budget as we are. :) Serve with lots of hot mashed potatoes, and the gravy spooned over everything. :) This recipe can easily be doubled for a larger group. Make sure you're sitting when you taste this one- it's been known to make the knees buckle-it's THAT good! And don't be alarmed if you find yourself in a wrestling match over the last of the gravy, that's perfecly normal. Enjoy!!
- Salt a large,deep skillet and heat to medium.
- Divide ground beef into about 8 thin patties and dredge in the flour, coating well. (patties will fatten up when you cook them.).
- Brown patties on both sides and set aside, leaving in any drippings and stuck flour to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn off heat and add soup, bullion cubes, milk and water to the pan. (bullion cubes will dissolve during cooking.).
- Bring gravy to a simmer, mixing well.
- When gravy starts to simmer add beef patties back in and cover.
- Simmer covered for about 20 min, stirring occasionally, until gravy is thickened. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Yummy!