Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 35 mins
I've been trying several recipes for pasties, but never found one that tasted as good as this one. Using store-bought pie crust made this an easy weeknight dinner.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin steaks (cut into very small pieces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup frozen hash brown potatoes (in chunks...not shredded)
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 (3/4 ounce) package brown gravy mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) package pie crusts (containing 2 crusts)
- In a casserole, mix the cut-up sirloin steak, the peas and carrots, hash browns, minced onion, brown gravy mix, water, bay leaf and water. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 3 hours, or until meat is very tender. Taste and season with salt and pepper and any herbs you enjoy. Cool for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Let pie crusts sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Cut each crust into halves. Put the cooled meat mixture on half of a half-circle, fold the top over and seal (using water on the edges). This will make a little pie package. cut a few slits on the top. Do this with all the crusts. Place on a cookie sheet coated with non-stick spray. Brush a bit of milk over each pastie. Place in 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until crust is golden.