- 1 bunch spinach, stems removed and well washed
- 4 veal schnitzels
- steak sauce
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 (400 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch spinach in boiling salted water for 30 seconds. Drain and plunge into ice-cold water. Drain well and squeeze out as much liquid as possible with your hands.
- Lay out schnitzels on a bench-top and pound with a meat mallet to flatten. Cover with steak sauce, season with salt and pepper and cover each schnitzel with a layer of spinach. Fold in sides and roll up to form long, thin parcels. Secure with string or small skewers.
- Heat a little oil in an ovenproof pan and brown beef parcels for 1 minute on all sides. Remove and place to one side. Add stock, tomato purée, tomato paste, and winchester sauce and bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Return parcels to the pan so they fit snugly, and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove string or skewers and slice beef parcels to serve. Skim any fat from the surface of the sauce, then adjust seasoning before pouring sauce over beef parcels.