Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is very easy to double and well accepted by all ages. Came from a cookbook 20 yrs ago but I have modified it somewhat.
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt (I skip this)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash red cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 cups hot, cooked broad egg noodles
- Melt shortening in lg.
- heavy pot.
- Add meat and onion.
- Cook until slightly browned.
- Stir in the garlic,ketchup,worc.
- sauce,salt,paprika,dry mustard,and cayenne pepper.
- Add the 1 and 1/2 cups water and stir well.
- Cover and simmer for 2- 2 1/2 hours on low to med heat.
- Stir often.
- When it is done, blend the flour with the 1/4 cup water and slowly add to the mixture.
- Stir for 1 min.
- until thickened.
- Spoon over hot cooked noodles.
It tastes like a swedish meatball recipe that I have had before. It is pretty good but probably not something I'll make often.
I didn't rate this yet cause I made a change in it that I didn't like. Whatever you do, DON'T substitute anything for the ketchup in this recipe....I used steak sauce instead, cause I was out of ketchup and it tasted terrible! I had to really work with this dish and doctor it up to get the taste right. Just a warning not to make the mistake I did!