Recipe by ladyshell2005
Old Betty Crocker recipe card file. Very tasty as either the main course or as a side dish. A family favorite.
Top Review by Moonwych1313
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This has always been one of my family's favorites, but my treasured binder with this recipe card in it disappeared one day many years ago. I can not begin to tell you how much even my youngest son enjoys this recipe. I go a little light on the paprika when I know he'll be eating it.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic clove
- 1 cup onion
- 3⁄4 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash red cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 cups wide egg noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice onion into thin slices.
- Melt shortening in a large skillet
- Add meat, onion and garlic; cook and stir till meat is light browned and onion tender.
- Stir in catsup, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt, paprika, mustard, cayenne and 1 1/2 cups water.
- Cover and simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Add water if needed--don't cook too dry.
- Cook egg noodles as per package instructions.
- Blend flour and 1/4 cup water; stir gradually into meat mixture. Heat till boiling and stir one minute.
- Stir 1/2 cup of cooked meat mixture liquid into cooked noodles.
- Add 1/2 water back into mixture.
- Serve over noodles.