Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Old Betty Crocker recipe card file. Very tasty as either the main course or as a side dish. A family favorite.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic clove
- 1 cup onion
- 3⁄4 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash red cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 cups wide egg noodles
- Slice onion into thin slices.
- Melt shortening in a large skillet
- Add meat, onion and garlic; cook and stir till meat is light browned and onion tender.
- Stir in catsup, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt, paprika, mustard, cayenne and 1 1/2 cups water.
- Cover and simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Add water if needed--don't cook too dry.
- Cook egg noodles as per package instructions.
- Blend flour and 1/4 cup water; stir gradually into meat mixture. Heat till boiling and stir one minute.
- Stir 1/2 cup of cooked meat mixture liquid into cooked noodles.
- Add 1/2 water back into mixture.
- Serve over noodles.