Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Quick-fix skillet supper with orzo pasta, ground beef, spinach, oregano, and tomatoes. So easy to make, great for those nights when you don't feel like cooking, but don't want fast food.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces dried orzo pasta (1 cup)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle salt into a 10 to 12 inch frying pan over medium-high heat. Crumble beef into pan and cook, stirring often, until meat begins to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, stir in onion, and continue to cook, stirring, until onion is soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Spoon off and discard excess fat.
- Add garlic, tomatoes (break them up with a spoon) and their liquid, broth, oregano, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil then stir in pasta. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently until pasta is tender to bite, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, squeeze as much liquid as possible from spinach. Stir spinach into pasta mixture just until heated through. Serve with cheese to add to taste.
Loved this! So flavorful and delicious! Not even sure how it could be bland at all. All we changed was added a little bit of Penzy's greek seasoning because we read about the bland comments. Next time I might up the orzo to 1.5 cups too, but overall will definitely make again and again. Great for a cold night or just easy weeknight meal.
I thought that it was good but bland. After I tryed it I added some garlic salt and meat seasoning. Then it tasted better. My kids loved it. I like trying new things but my kids are a little scared to try new things. Next time I am going to try putting in a little bit of feta cheese also.
This is a great recipe! I added cannellini beans as others suggested. I think I'll try this recipe with feta cheese next time. Overall, our family enjoyed this dish and the leftovers were even more tasty! Thanks for posting it.