Recipe by Matthew Molus
Quick-fix skillet supper with orzo pasta, ground beef, spinach, oregano, and tomatoes. So easy to make, great for those nights when you don't feel like cooking, but don't want fast food.
Top Review by Elecia J.
Turned out great ... I used ground turkey (that's what I had) ... I used 2 10oz cans of tomatoes w/green chilies ... I like it spicy so I seasoned the meat with Bold creole seasoning .. Followed directions as stated (including the seasoning) and it turned out wonderful... I used fresh spinach/kale/chard mix (I hate frozen spinach) and it was perfect ... Also used feta cheese instead of Parmesan (that's what I had on hand) ... Just sprinkled a little feta on top of the individual servings !! Great recipe .. Easy to follow ... LOVE IT !!!!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces dried orzo pasta (1 cup)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle salt into a 10 to 12 inch frying pan over medium-high heat. Crumble beef into pan and cook, stirring often, until meat begins to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, stir in onion, and continue to cook, stirring, until onion is soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Spoon off and discard excess fat.
- Add garlic, tomatoes (break them up with a spoon) and their liquid, broth, oregano, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil then stir in pasta. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently until pasta is tender to bite, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, squeeze as much liquid as possible from spinach. Stir spinach into pasta mixture just until heated through. Serve with cheese to add to taste.