Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was originally called "freezer stroganoff" on a recipe card, but it never makes it to the freezer! If you want to do OAMC with this, just stop before adding the milk and sour cream and freeze up to four months.
- 2 lbs beef steaks or 2 lbs venison steak, 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon or 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- Cut steak into 1/2 inch wide strips about 1 1/2 inches long.
- Saute mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter in a large skillet until tender, not brown. Remove from pan.
- Brown steak in the same pan.
- Mix the water, bouillon, salt, worcestershire and paprika; add to skillet and heat to boiling.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Mix the water and flour until smooth. Stir into the skillet. Add the vegetables and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and sour cream to the skillet and heat, stirring smooth. Do not boil.
- We serve over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
This was a really fantastic recipe. We didn't have enough onions and we used vegetable bouillon instead of beef, but it was excellent. We also ate it over white rice rather than noodles or mashed potatoes.