Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a flavorful recipe for less tender cuts of beef or veal. I usually prepare this dish using beef chuck steak, beef round steak or veal chops. This can be cooked either on top of the stove or in the oven.
- 2 lbs beef chuck steaks or 2 lbs beef round steak or 2 lbs veal chops, cut 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley, leaves only (the flat kind)
- 1 -2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 small onion, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 cup fresh small white button mushrooms (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 green pepper, seeded and cut into chunks (optional)
- 1 (20 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, unseasoned
- Coat the bottom of a large pan with olive oil.
- Using your hands, crush the canned tomatoes and add about half of them to the bottom of the pan.
- Add half of the salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, oregano and onions to the pan (only add the mushrooms to the top layer).
- Place the meat on top of this mixture.
- Cover the meat with remaining crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, oregano, mushrooms and onions.
- Cover pan tightly and cook over a low flame for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours (until meat is tender).
- Add the green peppers to the pan for the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
- To prepare this in the oven instead of stove top, use a shallow roasting pan, (follow above directions), cover pan tightly and bake at 325°-350°F for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (until meat is tender).
- Serve with potatoes or rice and a green salad.
I'm making this with right now with some olive il band salt and pepper as suggested; in Prego VODKA sauce and a can of Progresso Tomato Soup with Basil. How can it not be Delish!<br/>I'm using 2 pounds of Chuck steak<br/><br/>this looks Great for the odd VEAL STEAK we come across, too<br/><br/>ease of prep; plus and no guilt and confusion; over not browning!!
Very tasty! Based upon one of the reviews, I decided to add more liquid for a sauce, so I added about a 1/2 cup of wine and some water. The beef I used was apparently pretty tough, so I ended up cooking for over 3 hours in oven at 325 degrees. I liked the simplicity of the recipe and I think I will have my teenage DD make it sometime. I added precooked penne (on hand from a previous meal) so it truly was a ONE POT MEAl SENSATION! Thanks for sharing this recipe.
We enjoyed this for a dinner, was nice that it is basically a one pot mess. I used two round steaks, and two cans of diced unseasoned tomatoes. I could not find canned plum tomatoes at my store. I used red bell pepper just as a personal preference. There was very little sauce to speak of, adding wine or broth might be a nice addition if you need a sauce/gravy.