Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious way to eat beef or pork liver, along with bacon and onions. Cook more bacon, liver, and onions if serving to more people. If you do, just be sure to simmer everything (covered) for exactly 15 minutes. Prep time also includes cooking the bacon, the onions, and the liver, before simmering it in the skillet for 15 minutes.
- 6 slices bacon (use thin sliced bacon)
- 3 large onions, sliced thin
- salt & pepper, to season the onions and liver
- 1⁄2 lb beef or 1⁄2 lb pork liver, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- crisco butter flavor shortening
- In a 12-inch skillet, cook the bacon slices. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Remove bacon slices from skillet, and set aside, but DO NOT drain off the bacon grease.
- To the bacon grease in skillet, add the sliced onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook onion slices over medium to medium-high heat, for about 15 minutes; stirring often.
- Remove onions from the skillet, and set aside, but DO NOT drain off any of the bacon grease. To the skillet, add a couple tablespoons of the Buttered Flavored Crisco.
- In a shallow bowl, add the flour; sprinkle in some of the salt and pepper. Lightly dust liver in the flour, add to the skillet, and cook liver over medium heat; till lightly browned on both sides. This doesn't take very long, so watch and turn liver quickly, so it doesn't burn in skillet. Remove cooked liver from the skillet, and set aside on a plate.
- Add the sliced onions back to the skillet. Place liver ontop of the cooked onions, then top the liver with the bacon slices. Cover skillet with a lid; cook the liver, bacon and onions over low heat (a low simmer) for exactly 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat; remove the liver, bacon, and onions, and place on a serving platter or plate to serve.
- Note: You may think the 3 large onions is a bit too much for this recipe, but it's not. The onions do cook down quite a bit.
Fantastic! I had liver with bacon and onions in a restaurant and it was delish. When I found this recipe I followed it to the tee....but used butter instead of crisco. My husband had it for the first time and absolutely loved it! Thank you. Making it again tonight.
I fixed it tonight and loved it! Thank you :)
I would never give liver 5 stars....(I hate it) My man cooked it for himself and loved it. Said his mama made it just like this.