Recipe by c0dphish
Thai style chicken or beef kabobs. These are very flavorful when marinated overnight. The recipe listed is for a large group. Perfect for potlucks. (Prep time is marinade time).
Top Review by wood stove stoker
Great recipe! Thanks for posting it. My grocery store was out of lemon grass, so I substituted about 2 T of prepared lemongrass paste. After I marinated the chicken I froze it and took it on a river trip. It thawed nicely in the cooler and I skewered it at the camp site then grilled it over coals. I served it with the peanut sauce which I had prepared ahead of time. Needless to say, my camp mates were thrilled, and they are still talking about it. Next time I will try beef and make sure I find the fresh lemon grass.
- 4 lbs flank steaks or 4 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 4 fluid ounces peanut oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 fluid ounce Thai fish sauce or 1 fluid ounce vietnamese fish sauce
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1 3⁄4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 ounce cilantro, minced
- 13 1⁄2 ounces peanut butter
- 12 ounces soy sauce
- 7 1⁄2 ounces sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2-4 1⁄2 tablespoons chilies, hot
Directions See How It's Made
- Method for meat and marinade: Trim the meat and cut into long thin strips.
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients, add the meat, and let marinate under refrigeration for at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for a least 10 minutes before you are ready to grill the satays.
- Thread the meat on the skewers, one strip per skewer.
- Skewer meat can be returned to the marinade to hold until cooking time.
- Place the skewered meat on the grill or boiler rods.
- Grill or broil undisturbed for about 1 minute, turn and grill 1 minute more for medium rare, or as needed for the desired doneness.
- Server the satays with the spicy peanut sauce.
- Method for Spicy Peanut Sauce: Process all ingredients in food processor until smooth.
- Cover and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Bring to room temperature before using, and stir briskly or reprocess to mix.