Recipe by Pokey in San Antonio, TX
The secret to this recipe is to marinate the meat before cooking. This adds additional flavor to an already flavor rich dish. You can use beef or chicken. I use round steak, cut 1/2" thick or skinless chicken breasts. Having the meat slightly frozen will help in cutting it into thin strips.
- 1 lb beef or 1 lb chicken
- 3 cups cooked rice, chilled
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon red chile (crushed)
- 3 -4 dried red chilies
- 1⁄2 cup green onion
- 1⁄2 cup carrot
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice beef or chicken breast into thin strips.
- For the marinade; combine soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, one minced clove of garlic, and red chili.
- Marinate meat for several hours (over night is best).
- Thinly slice green onions and coarsely chop the green tops. Separate, as they will go in at different times.
- Grate the carrots.
- Slice the dried chilies lengthwise.
- Scramble the eggs lightly in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a wok or deep pan.
- Fry the eggs until set, remove and slice into strips.
- Add the garlic and sliced green onions (white part) and the sliced red chilies to the hot oil, sauté for a minute or so, then add the marinated meat, reserving the marinade (beef only). If you're cooking chicken, don't reserve the marinade; just add some soy sauce in its place later in the process.
- Stir fry the meat until cooked, and then remove.
- Add the chilled, cooked rice to the hot oil and stir fry until heated thoroughly.
- Add the meat, green onion tops, carrots, egg slices, and some or all of the the reserved marinade (or equal amount of soy sauce if you used chicken, about 1/4 cup).
- Stir fry until all is heated through.
- Serve immediately.