The secret to this recipe is to marinate the meat before cooking. This adds additional flavor to an already flavor rich dish. You can use beef or chicken. I use round steak, cut 1/2" thick or skinless chicken breasts. Having the meat slightly frozen will help in cutting it into thin strips.
- Slice beef or chicken breast into thin strips.
- For the marinade; combine soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, one minced clove of garlic, and red chili.
- Marinate meat for several hours (over night is best).
- Thinly slice green onions and coarsely chop the green tops. Separate, as they will go in at different times.
- Grate the carrots.
- Slice the dried chilies lengthwise.
- Scramble the eggs lightly in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a wok or deep pan.
- Fry the eggs until set, remove and slice into strips.
- Add the garlic and sliced green onions (white part) and the sliced red chilies to the hot oil, sauté for a minute or so, then add the marinated meat, reserving the marinade (beef only). If you're cooking chicken, don't reserve the marinade; just add some soy sauce in its place later in the process.
- Stir fry the meat until cooked, and then remove.
- Add the chilled, cooked rice to the hot oil and stir fry until heated thoroughly.
- Add the meat, green onion tops, carrots, egg slices, and some or all of the the reserved marinade (or equal amount of soy sauce if you used chicken, about 1/4 cup).
- Stir fry until all is heated through.
- Serve immediately.
Loved it! I added some frozen peas. Very easy. Thanks for posting!
Delish-very easy. Thanks for posting!
Marinating in 1 cup of soy is just to much so I used 2 tablespoon of soy sauce, to the sesame oil, sugar, garlic, and red chili. Step # 8 calls to heat the oil but I do suggest just 1 tablespoon and save the rest for Step # 10. After cooking the meat I just added the remaining ingredients to the wok to heat and seasoned with a touch more soy. I did use left over brown rice and saffron rice, skipped the sugar and added 1 celery stalk. This is rated on the results from the changes made. I`m sure if someone uses 1 cup of soy this will get very little stars.