- 1 lb chuck roast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon beef base or 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 cup carrot, sliced into coins
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery & leaves, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1 (16 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked (preferably thick)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large soup pot on medium heat. Stir in meat cubes and fry until browned, stirring frequently. This will take 5 to 8 minutes. Add water and soup base or salt, plus bay leaves and peppercorns; bring to a boil. Turn heat down to a simmer; cook 1 hour.
- Add carrots, onions and celery, plus marjoram, thyme and parsley; cook until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add the cooked noodles to the soup for the last 10 minutes of simmering.