Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a great alternative to lasagna. Its fast, easy and yummy, and a perfect weeknight meal. My girls who eat like birds asked for seconds the first time I made it. I knew then it was a keeper. I got this recipe from the taste of home cookbook. I also add other things like onion powder and a little bit of season salt when cooking the beef. Keep in mind this is just the base recipe. You can make it to suit your needs. Lower fat recipe use whole grain pasta, neufatel cheese (instead on regular cream cheese) lite sour cream and so on.Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, Chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) jars tomato sauce (e.g. homemade or Ragu)
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink. Remove from heat and drain.
- 2. Stir in the tomato sauce, sour cream, cream cheese, sugar and garlic salt into the beef.
- 3. Place half the noodles in a 13 x 9 baking dish; top with half of the beef mixture. Repeat layers.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- 5. Sprinkle with cheese and bake an additional 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
I made some minor changes, adding a little extra cream cheese (about 3/4 oz), didn't have garlic salt so used 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp garlic powder and instead of mozzarella I used Monterey jack (had it to use up and used a little extra since I was trying to use it up). Used a marinara for the tomato sauce. After tasting, I thought it needed a little extra something so added some fresh ground pepper and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning, which helped. Next time I will add some pepper and maybe basil and oregano or Italian seasoning directly to the beef mixture before baking. Thanks for sharing!