Recipe by Bergy
This is a great "do ahead" casserole. Make it the day before or in the morning and just pop it in the oven for 1/2 hour before dinner. Not only that it tastes good.
Top Review by Sharlene~W
Nice flavor and very easy. I used mild cheddar cheese as my kids aren't sharp cheese fans. Next time I would skip the butter, saute ground beef in a non-stick skillet and drain fat. You only need to cook the noodles a couple of minutes to soften before you add as they cook more in the oven.
- 1 (5 ounce) package egg noodles (whatever type you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (8 ounce) can Italian-style tomato sauce
- 8 ounces 2% fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the noodles until just tender, drain, rinse with cold water, drain well and set aside.
- In a large skillet melt the butter.
- Add beef and fry until well cooked and crumbly.
- Stir in salt pepper, basil and tomato sauce.
- In a large bowl combine the noodles, cottage cheese, green onions and sour cream.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a casserole dish (8-inch square).
- Put in half on the noodle mixture.
- Top with half of the beef.
- Add last half of noodles and top with the remaining beef.
- Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered, 30 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese has melted.