Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
My whole family loves this, even my kids who are picky eatters! Easy to make which is important to me too...
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 (2 1/4 ounce) cans sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 loaf unsliced French bread
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the salsa, green pepper, olives, salt, chili powder, garlic, and cumin. Remove from the heat. Cut bread in half lengthwise; place on a baking sheet. Spread meat mixture over sides and sprinkle with cheese. Bake @450 for 10-15 minutes.
This was alright! A little dry. Had to put homemade salsa on top. I think if you put refried beans on the bottom it would be better. Kinda like an open face torta. I was thinking of putting spagehtii sauce and mozzerella on top. Next time I will try it like that. I did add mushrooms to mine. So my daughter actually ate purple onion, green pepper, and mushrooms. She didn't even know it till I told her.
Easy and quick for very hungry people. Made for PAC Fall 2011
quick, easy and so yummy. I used french hoagie buns instead of loaf of french bread as it made it individual portions. at least it did for me if you only eat a half. I used 1/4 lb ground beef added quartered pepperoni and cooked as directed at end I put on slices of tomato. Oh so yummy