Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I have tried various recipes for beef and broccoli but this one works best and is easiest one for me to prepare in very little time. Serve over steamed rice for a quick weekday dinner without the preservatives of a boxed microwavable entree. I usually get ribeye or filet mignon strips, so that it is not so tough when I try to chew the meat. The local grocery store should sell them already precut in prepackaged trays. If you want some spice, you can add pepper flakes to the sauce for added flavor. For onion lovers, you can also sautee some onions on the side and add it to the mix for additional variety in your dish.
- Marinate beef: Stir the 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon rice vinegar, potato starch (corn starch is fine, too) and black pepper in a medium bowl and add the beef. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Blanche the broccoli (which just means to bring water in a pot to a boil, add broccoli and a dash of salt then immediately turn off heat and pour the broccoli into a colander - do not let the broccoli sit, so as to avoid loss of crispiness and losing the bright green color you should now get).
- Heat large frying pan or wok until water sizzles instantly, or evaporates upon contact.
- Add cooking oil and stir to coat (for me that's about 2 tablespoons olive oil).
- Add beef, immediately spread beef out all over surface in single layer (preferably not touching) and leave for 1 minute.
- Flip, add garlic for 30 seconds to 1 minute until no longer pink.
- Pour on sauce. Add broccoli and bring to a boil.
- Pour in dissolved potato starch and cook, stirring the sauce for 30 seconds.
- Serve over rice immediately and for some umph, garnish with sesame seeds.
This was very easy and delicious, even for me, who doesnt normally eat beef. My mum and DH loved it, I could have made double the recipe! I forgot the sesame seeds, sorry about that, but it was a lovely change of pace for us, thank you! Made for Spring PAC 2014