- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 (20 ounce) can whole tomatoes, cut up (undrained)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper (pinch)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, stir and cook ground beef until browned; remove and place into a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Add corn oil, onion, garlic and barley to saucepan; stir and cook until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well and stir into ground beef.
- Bake 2 hours at 350 degrees.