Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a nice change of pace from regular beef stew. You can use more or less beef and vegetables according to your own tastes. You can thicken it with flour, cornstarch, or tapioca if you'd like. This would probably work just as well on the stovetop as in the oven.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 carrots, sliced about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, halved or quartered
- salt and pepper
- In a Dutch oven, stir the soups and water until fairly smooth.
- Add meat and bay leaves.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms.
- Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.