Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups porcini mushrooms, dried (about 2 ounces)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef short ribs, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions (about 1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup nonfat beef broth
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine 1 cup hot water and porcini mushrooms in a small bowl; let stand 10 minutes.
- Drain mushrooms through a fine sieve into a bowl, reserving liquid. Chop mushrooms; set aside.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper over ribs; dredge ribs in flour. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ribs to pan; cook 12 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove ribs from pan. Add porcini mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; cook 12 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add wine, scraping pan to loosen brown bits. Add mushroom liquid and broth; bring to a boil. Add ribs to pan; cover. Place pan in oven; bake at 350° for 2 1/2 hours or until ribs are tender. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove meat from bones; discard bones, fat, and gristle. Shred meat with 2 forks; return meat to pan.
- Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cool completely. Place mixture in an airtight container or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; freeze.
- Thaw meat mixture overnight in refrigerator. Place mixture in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.