Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A flavorful soup with a back woods feel
- 1 lb beef round steak (diced)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups mushrooms (sliced)
- 8 cups water
- 8 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 cup onion (diced)
- 4 slices bacon (diced)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large stock pot sauté the beef and onions on high heat in oil until beef is browned and onions are translucent.
- Add rest of ingredients and bring the soup to a medium boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and keep soup simmering so that it is just bubbling.
- Taste the soup after 30 minute and add additional seasoning to taste.
- Continue to simmer for additional 60 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and keep warm until serving.
I loved it all. I was amazed by the flavors. I was looking for it to be more of a soup than a stew so I think next time I'll add more water and bouillon. But other than that we are adding it to our home cookbooks. Thank you.
I cooked this and the only problem I had was the liquid smoke (hence the 4 stars). It's a taste prefrence. I will, however cook this again, following exactly the recipe except leave out the liquid smoke.