Recipe by Kendra*
I combined parts of several different recipes and came up with this soup that I've been making for years. As much as I hate cold weather, I'm always kind of happy to see it arrive just so I can fix this soup for dinner. I usually serve it with crusty sourdough rolls for a wonderfully satisfying comfort meal.
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 3 onions, chopped
- 6 carrots, diced
- 1 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 8 cups beef broth (use low sodium if you prefer)
- 1 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove visible fat from beef and cut into small pieces.
- Brown meat (in 1 tsp olive oil if desired).
- Add onions and mushrooms and saute for 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for at least 2 hours.
- You can add some water if soup gets too thick.
- Pour into bowls and serve.