Recipe by DrGaellon
A very hearty, rich soup/stew. Cobbled together from several other similar recipes, with my own flair. I dislike eating celery, but like the flavor, so this is written to discard the celery. If you want to leave it in, you can dice the celery instead.
- 2 cups dried mushrooms
- hot water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shoulder london broil beef, trimmed of excess fat and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 3⁄4 lb frozen chopped onions
- 1 lb frozen sliced carrots
- 1 lb frozen baby lima bean
- 4 garlic cloves (minced or put through a garlic press)
- 3 celery ribs, cut in 3-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium low-fat beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce (optional)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place dried mushrooms in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover with hot water and microwave on High for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large slow cooker, place beef, onion, carrots, lima beans, garlic, celery, tomato paste, beef broth, water, barley, thyme, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper.
- Remove mushrooms from soaking liquid and chop finely. Add to slow cooker. Pour soaking liquid through a coffee filter into slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours (or high 3-4 hours), stirring occasionally. Remove celery and bay leaves before serving.