1/2 Photos of Beef Mole Tamale Pie
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Found this recipe on RecipeRewards and am Posting it for ZWT II 2006 Mexico. I have not tried this yet, but sure sounds good. This looks as if it could make a great dish for pot lucks, or OMAC's.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, partially thawed
- 1 1/4 cups salsa, medium-hot (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese or 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- fresh cilantro leaves
- chili pepper
- sour cream (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Spray 11"x7" baking dish with nontick cooking spray.
- 3Brown beef with onion, bell pepper and garlic in large deep skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Drain fat. Stir in corn, salsa, cocoa, cumin, 1 tsp salt, oregano and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Remove from heat; stir in cheese and cilantro.
- 5Spread into prepared dish.
- 6Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and remaining 1/2 tsp salt in large bowl. Add milk, butter and egg; stir just until dry ingredients are moistend.
- 7Drop by spoonfuls evenly over meat mixture; spread batter evenly with spatula.
- 8Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake 20 minutes or until topping is light brown and filling is bubbly.
- 9Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- 10Garnish with cilantro, chile pepper and sour cream.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Mole Tamale Pie
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 700.2
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 164.9 mg
- Sodium 1379.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 38.8 g