Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A recipe from Taste of Home. It's low-salt and low-cal. 1 cup is 141 calories. Maybe I cooked it too much because it turned out more like a stew than a soup. But it was great and healthy.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup potato, peeled chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 teaspoons parmesan cheese, grated
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Add the water, potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, carrots, celery, rice, thyme, bay leaf and cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon of parmesan.
This is a very hearty and filling soup. I used hamburger veggie crumbles in place of beef and a can of diced tomatoes with their juice as well as a healthy amount of minced garlic. As with Dreamer I didn't measure but everything (except the meat) got into the pot. It really has a seductive aroma while simmering that sure appealed to my men who kept proclaiming how "good it smells in here". Loved the cheese to finish it off.
Great filling and healthy soup! I don't care for onions so left them out, and used brown rice. Trying to stay true to the healthy aspect of the recipe, I added a little extra parmesan to my serving instead of adding salt. I'll add some basil during cooking next time. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for the Best of 2010 Event (recommended by Dreamer in Ontario)
This is a great soup. My family really enjoyed it. I loved the rice in it. Thanks so much for sharing. Made for Photo Tag.