Recipe by Charlotte J
From Food Network
Top Review by alisonkemper
This was great. Not hard to follow, easy to make. Great ingredients done to perfection. I got organic tenderloins for $10/lb yestrerday, shitakes for $6/lb, and had sour cream, shallots and red wine (no cognac, alas) already. I made mashed potates to sop up the sauce, green beans just because, mesclun salad, and a pile of California strawberries for dessert. It was just the combo I needed to turn $20 worth of ingredients into a memorable meal that greatly impressed my son's girlfriend. Thanks!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for frying medallions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 beef medallions, patted dry (about 4 ounces each)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
- kosher salt, for seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed (about 12 medium)
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup cognac or 1⁄4 cup other brandy or 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium skillet (ideally not nonstick) over medium-high heat.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Add the medallions to the pan and cook about 3 minutes on each side, for medium-rare, or until desired doneness.
- Remove beef from pan and set on plates or a platter in a warm spot.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the skillet.
- Add the shiitakes and cook over medium-low heat, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the shallots, garlic, and salt and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Pull the skillet from the heat, add the Cognac, and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits that cling to the pan.
- Return to the heat and cook until the liquid is reduced, about 1 minute. (If you are cooking over a gas flame the alcohol may flame, simply cook until the flames die down.).
- Add the chicken broth, and cook until saucy, about 2 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the sour cream and parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mushrooms and sauce over the medallions and serve.