Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is another yummy and easy steak recipe. It can be easily doubled or tripled making it perfect for company.
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 59.14 ml chopped shallot
- 4.92 ml brown sugar, packed
- 236.59 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 118.29 ml beef broth
- 118.29 ml cognac or 118.29 ml brandy
- 59.14 ml whipping cream
- 2 (283.49 g) beef tenderloin steaks, about 1 inch thick
- fresh chives
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat.
- Add shallots and saute about 4 minutes, until tender.
- Add brown sugar and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
- Add the chicken and beef broth and the Cognac.
- Simmer until sauce is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes.
- Add cream.
- The sauce can be made well in advance, covered and refrigerated or even frozen.
- If frozen, thaw before proceeding.
- Season steaks.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the steaks to the skillet and cook to desired doneness.
- For medium rare, cook about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove steaks from skillet and place on a plate, keep warm.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits left from the steaks.
- Slice the steaks and fan the slices on plates.
- Top with sauce and chives.
Oh La La!! I had to do a little remodeling, out of shallots wo I used valdalia onions. Since I had left over flat iron steak, we used this sauce as a topper. It was delish. We'll certainly keep this sauce in mind next time we have steak.
This was the centerpiece of one of the best meals I've made. I loved this recipe. I used bourbon instead of cognac (because I thought it might be sweeter). I didn't end up using cornstarch and I am glad I didn't. The sauce, while less like a gravy, seeped into the steak and made for wonderful flavor. Also, my butcher was out of tenderloin, so I actually bought a thick steak for two. It was nice for Valentine's Day but I had to put it in the oven for ten minutes before putting it on the skillet - - and it came out wonderfully. Thank you so much for this recipe!!!!!!
My husband made this for our anniversary dinner on New Year's Eve, it was absolutely divine! Thank's for a keeper.