Recipe by Normaone
This is another yummy and easy steak recipe. It can be easily doubled or tripled making it perfect for company.
Top Review by BakinBaby
Oh La La!! I had to do a little remodeling, out of shallots wo I used valdalia onions. Since I had left over flat iron steak, we used this sauce as a topper. It was delish. We'll certainly keep this sauce in mind next time we have steak.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup cognac or 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 (5 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, about 1 inch thick
- fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat.
- Add shallots and saute about 4 minutes, until tender.
- Add brown sugar and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
- Add the chicken and beef broth and the Cognac.
- Simmer until sauce is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes.
- Add cream.
- The sauce can be made well in advance, covered and refrigerated or even frozen.
- If frozen, thaw before proceeding.
- Season steaks.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the steaks to the skillet and cook to desired doneness.
- For medium rare, cook about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove steaks from skillet and place on a plate, keep warm.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits left from the steaks.
- Slice the steaks and fan the slices on plates.
- Top with sauce and chives.