1/5 Photos of Beef Medallions and Mushrooms in Red Wine Sauce
Charlotte J's Note:
Do not over cook the meat. The Beef Industry has recently started cutting the ‘beef medallion cut’ in the last two years. It is the second best cut after the beef tenderloin. The tenderloin comes from the T-bone the small portion from inside the bone and the medallion comes from a shoulder cut.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 283.49-340.19 g beef tenderloin or 283.49-340.19 g beef medallions
- coarse salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 29.58-44.37 ml butter
- 1-2 large shallot, minced (about 1/3 cup)
- 177.44 ml sliced mushrooms
- 7.39 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml dried rosemary
- 7.39 ml flour
- 177.44 ml beef broth
- 177.44 ml good quality dry red wine
- 1Start by cutting the tenderloin into 6 equal pieces, then flatten each piece using a mallet or heavy weight until each piece is 1/4 inch thick.
- 2Season with the salt and pepper.
- 3In a medium skillet, melt a tablespooon of butter over med-high heat.
- 4Add the beef, in batches if necessary, and saute until outside is brown but inside is still very pink, about 2 minutes on each side.
- 5After browning remove each tenderloin from pan and keep warm.
- 6Add remaining butter to skillet, and when melted, add mushrooms and shallots.
- 7Saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the sugar over the mixture, and cook until deep brown, about 4 minutes longer.
- 8Add vinegar, garlic, herbs, and flour and stir one minute, until liquid is absorbed.
- 9Add broth and wine, and bring to a boil.
- 10Cook until liquid is thickened and reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- 11Return beef to the pan, and heat through, about 1 minute.
- 12Arrange beef on plate and spoon sauce and mushrooms over.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Medallions and Mushrooms in Red Wine Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.0
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 75.6 mg
- Sodium 257.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 15.3 g