Recipe by Gourmand
I love Saturdays in the winter. It's cold outside and makes you want to stay home. So what's better than spending that time in the kitchen with a bubbling pot sending exotic smelling clouds of steam into the air? This makes a very tasty, dissolve in your mouth meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cut into large cubes
- 2 medium onions
- 3 garlic, peeled and crushed
- 28 ounces tomatoes (canned, whole with their juice)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 cup apricot, dried (whole)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 cup goji berry (optional, see directions)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven. Brown beef in batches and reserve. Add onion and garlic to pan and allow to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, with their juice, and 1 cup of the orange juice. Bring to a boil. Then add the apricots and all the spices, including the salt and pepper. Add in the beef and any collected juice.
- Cut lemon into quarters and stir into the pot.
- Add in the goji berries if using. (They are optional, but are high in antioxidants.).
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Place cover on to allow some steam to escape and simmer for 2 hours. Remove lemon rinds from pot. Adjust salt.
- Thicken sauce with cornstarch mixed with water if desired.
- Serve over couscous.