Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Easy homestyle meal that kids and teenagers absolutely love.
Make and share this Beef, Macaroni and Tomato Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 5 -6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) candiced canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni or 8 ounces bow tie pasta
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles until al dente, 8-10 minutes, and drain.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook ground beef with garlic, oregano, basil, onion, green pepper, and salt and pepper until beef is browned, cooked through, and veggies are tender.
- Drain any fat.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce to beef mixture, then simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Mix beef mixture with cooked macaroni and place in a 9x13-inch casserole dish or lasagna pan.
- Top casserole with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.
Great recipe! Hubby, who is not a big macaroni hamburger casserole fan, said it was the best he's ever had and that's saying something since I think I've tried them all. This is definitely a keeper and on my regular rotation. Only thing I did differently was use a bit more then a lb of hamburger Xlean and so I used a 14 oz can of tomato sauce as well. Thanks for posting this!
I love that I could make this with food I had in my pantry/fridge. I literally googled: I have hamburger, canned tomatoes and onion; what can I make? I added three cans of mushrooms and omitted green peppers by preference. Very happy to find this recipe.
Dh had a craving and your lovely recipe fit the bill. It was wonderful comfort food and he enjoyed it tremendously, even taking the leftovers for his lunch the next day. Served with flaky buttermilk biscuits for a great meal. Made exactly as written, used a red pepper instead of green, as I was out. Thanks for sharing your recipe Sue...it will be repeated around here. Made for What's on the Menu? Tag Game 2015.