Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Easy homestyle meal that kids and teenagers absolutely love.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 5 -6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) candiced canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni or 8 ounces bow tie pasta
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles until al dente, 8-10 minutes, and drain.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook ground beef with garlic, oregano, basil, onion, green pepper, and salt and pepper until beef is browned, cooked through, and veggies are tender.
- Drain any fat.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce to beef mixture, then simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Mix beef mixture with cooked macaroni and place in a 9x13-inch casserole dish or lasagna pan.
- Top casserole with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.
Great recipe! Hubby, who is not a big macaroni hamburger casserole fan, said it was the best he's ever had and that's saying something since I think I've tried them all. This is definitely a keeper and on my regular rotation. Only thing I did differently was use a bit more then a lb of hamburger Xlean and so I used a 14 oz can of tomato sauce as well. Thanks for posting this!
I like mine a little more tomatoey, if that's even a word LOL, so I use a 28 oz, can of diced tomatoes instead of a 14. Living alone, I also find that this makes a ton of Mac so I usually make a full batch of sauce and freeze half of it. Then when I find myself with no idea of what to eat, all I need do is pull out a zip loc bag of sauce, defrost it in a bowl of warm water and boil up some macaroni noodles and in very short time, mix and toss in the oven. It's also good to make the sauce the night before and then just cook the macaroni noodles and toss it in the oven the next day for dinner. It's a great recipe that lends itself to whatever variations you might want to make. I like to chop the onions and pepper on the medium side so that I can see them in the mix. Don't like garlic? Leave it out. Want to make it cheesier? Add some singles slices in the middle and put more macaroni on top, finished by your favorite cheese on top - as long as your fave is Mozzarella. :) Add some red pepper flakes for a bit of heat and I like to add a bay leaf when cooking the sauce for a touch of extra flavor. And if you really want to give it the best flavor of all, add a finely chopped anchovy filet or two into the sauce. They will disintegrate but leave a great addition to the flavor that no one will be able to figure out!
Delish and easy! Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. The entire family loved it. The only adjustment I made was to drizzle some heavy cream over the beef/noodle mix before layering on the cheese. Gave it a little bit richer flavor/texture. So yummy!