Prep 2 mins
Cook 25 mins
This can be substituted with ground pork. This is one of my favorite Filipino dishes. Serve with rice and sweet and sour sauce as your dipping sauce. It's a long process for prep time but it is definitely worth it!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped peeled carrot
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 32 ounces spring roll wrappers (about 72 wrappers)
- salt, as needed
- pepper, as needed
- oil, for deep-frying
- Crumble and brown ground beef in large skillet or wok. Remove excess fat. Stir in garlic and onions and stir-fry until tender.
- Add carrots and fish sauce and cook 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and.
- pepper. Transfer into colander to drain off any drippings (to prevent wrappers from getting soggy).
- Place about 1 tablespoon meat filling in a thin strip across one triangular end of lumpia wrapper (about 2 inches from corner tip).
- Roll tightly halfway then fold in both sides, continue rolling toward other.
- tip. Moisten corner edges with egg or water to seal. Place on large tray. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers. (May be covered and refrigerated for 1 day or frozen up to 1 week at this point.).
- Heat oil to 375 degrees in deep-fryer or wok.
- Drop lumpia, few pieces at time, and fry until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce.
When Living in Seattle we were very blessed to attend a church with a large Pilipino congregation. We got to enjoy authentic Pilipino cuisine often, I solely miss it. This recipe was so good my husband could not stop talking about it even into the next day. my husbandâ€™s usual response is, Me asking and getting a, â€�hmmm ya its good.â€� No fishing for complements at this meal, I couldnâ€™t get him to shut up. I didnâ€™t serve this with sweet and sour but rather a combination of soy seasoned rice wine vinegar and fresh garlic, that I let soak while preparation. Thanks for the memories and this authentic recipe.
Finally a lumpia recipe like my mother makes. Thanks!!
We loved this super simple delicious version! Made my family so happy, THANK YOU!