Recipe by Olive*
This recipe has been around for a while. It is delicious casserole that can be made ahead time, if needed. The only thing I can add to this is a few of my personal preferences when making this recipe. Maybe they will be yours too. :) I like to use the brand Ro-tel tomatoes with MILD green chilies. If you like hot, by all means use the original. We just like the mild flavor better. Also, I like to mix the whole tomatoes and the diced tomatoes in a blender for just a few seconds just enough to break up the tomatoes a bit but, this is not necessary. I just like my tomatoes broken down a little more, yet not saucy. I also have used either sour cream or PLAIN yogurt in this recipe and both are equally good in my opinion. Same goes for the use of Monterey Jack cheese or Mozzarella cheese. We like the taste of either of those two cheeses in this recipe as well.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 -8 ounces egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- garnish with chopped parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the hamburger in a large skillet or stock pot on medium heat until browned. Drain. Stir in both cans of tomatoes, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and bay leaf, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions, Drain. Stir together the cooked noodles, chopped green onions and sour cream until mixed. Place the noodles in the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover the noodles with the beef mixture, spreading evenly. Sprinkle the cheeses evenly over the top of the beef mixture. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.