Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from a family friend about thirty years ago. I do not know where she got it. This method of preparation eliminates the things that I find put me off about liver.
- 5 -7 slices bacon (thin slices)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef liver, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2-1 cup flour, seasoned with
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup hot beef broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Place liver in a suitable bowl.
- Pour 3 cups boiling water over liver to blanch, drain and dry.
- Dredge in seasoned flour and saute in bacon fat until lightly browned on both sides.
- Lay in greased casserole.
- Cover with sliced onions.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the 1/2 cup of hot beef broth or water.
- Crumble the crisp bacon over all.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
- Serve with potatoes or rice to take advantage of the gravy.