Prep 8 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the only way that I like to eat liver. The gravy seems to take away that strong "liver taste". My husband is all smiles when I cook him this. I serve it with mashed potatoes, corn, and biscuits or cornbread...a real belly-filler, but very good for you.
- Preheat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, until a drop of water sizzles on the oil surface.
- While waiting for the pan to preheat, combine flour, salt, and pepper (and garlic powder, if you wish) in a large tupperware bowl.
- Shake till mixed thoroughly.
- Add the liver to the flour bowl, cover the bowl and shake til coated, shake off and lay them in the frying pan.
- Reserve the flour mixture for the gravy.
- Brown the liver in the oil on both sides, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Turn down the heat to low and toss in the onions and saute til clear.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Whip together milk and remaining flour until smooth.
- Return the pan to the burner and turn on medium-low.
- Add the flour/milk mixture (white sauce) to the pan of onions, stir constantly, until the gravy bubbles.
- Let simmer for 2 minutes.
- (NOTE: I keep the milk beside the stove JUST IN CASE the gravy seems too thick) Turn to low, add the liver, cover and simmer for another 10-15 minute.
- ,or until you see no more blood from the steaks.
The best recipe for fresh beef liver I have ever found. Loved the gravy, too! Liver was so tender we cut it with our forks. 2 thumbs up!
Wow! Really good, I was looking for something to do with my grass-fed beef liver and I'm glad I picked this. I put my flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a bag coated it that way. I didn't have any light oil so I had to use olive oil. Once the onions were clear I added the a couple tablespoons of flour to the oil and onions like I was making a roux and stirred so I didn't have to worry about lumps and then added the milk. Super simple, tender and tasty!
I never cooked liver before, but I am preggers and I suddenly had the urge to eat liver today! So I tried this recipe and was so nervous cause I had no idea how the liver was suppose to come out. And even though I am preggers, I am still very picky about exactly what I eat. I loved it! I was going to eat it all but i decided to share with the other ppl, lol. if your looking for a good recipe with liver try this 1!