1/2 Photos of Beef Lentil Skillet
1 hr 10 mins
This is nutritious, flexible, and delicious! I adapted it from my trusty Mennonite Cookbook recipe, and our family loves it and always asks for more! It goes "viral" everytime I make it for a church gathering or some other food-fest! ENJOY!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef (you can substitute Smoked Sausage ring or Kielbasa for a change of pace)
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 medium onion, coursely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn (drained canned corn, or frozen, your choice)
- 2 -3 cups water (may need more)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to personal preferences)
- 1In large skillet or dutch oven, brown beef and onions, and drain fat. If you choose the Smoked Sausage or Kielbasa, slice into 1/3-1/2 thick slices and brown.
- 2Sort lentils and wash.
- 3Add lentils and ALL remaining ingredients to meat mixture.
- 4Bring to boil, cover, and turn down to simmer. Simmer 45 mins, stirring every 15 mins or so and adding water if necessary. Most all water should be absorbed with only a little "sauce" left when ready to serve. Remove bay leaves, serve with bread and salad for complete meal.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Lentil Skillet
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 485.0
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 100.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.6 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 36.2 g