1/3 Photos of Beef Lasagna
3 hrs 30 mins
This is pretty much how lasagna gets made in Australia, usually no cottage cheese or ricotta. I have been making it this way for over 30 years, but can't find a similar recipe on here yet. I find it easier to make the beef sauce the day before, and reheat it a little, but I like to use the cheese sauce hot and freshly made. This mix fills a tray 12x8x3 for me, and I find it easier to cut through the top layer with kitchen scissors before taking to it with a knife to cut into serving portions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 600 g beef mince, leanest you can buy
- 1 (140 g) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (440 g) can chopped tomatoes, and their juice
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch mixed pumpkin spice or 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 (250 g) packet instant lasagna sheets (12)
- 50 g shredded parmesan cheese
- 1Meat Sauce: Heat the oil in a large fry pan over a medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and bacon and cook until the onion is golden and tender.
- 3Add the minced garlic and cook a couple of minutes more.
- 4Add the mince and cook, breaking up with a fork, until the meat has all changed colour.
- 5Now add the tomato paste and "cook it out" for another minute or two before adding the wine.
- 6Allow the wine to reduce a little, before adding the remaining sauce ingredients.
- 7Simmer until reduced and thickened and a deep rich red/ brown.
- 8*You could call this"cooked" in 30 minutes, but I like to let it simmer about 2 hours, stirring regularly to make sure it's not catching.
- 9Add a little more broth or water if it looks like doing so.
- 10Cheese Sauce:.
- 11Melt the butter, add the flour and stir well.
- 12Allow to cook gently for about 2 minutes, then add the milk all in one go, and whisk briskly until heated and thickened.
- 13Allow to cook a couple of minutes more on a simmer.
- 14Add the cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 15Assembly of the lasagna:.
- 16Spread a little of the beef sauce across the bottom of your pan.
- 17Cover with a layer of beef sauce and drizzle about half a cup of cheese sauce over this-no need to be too particular.
- 18Cover with a layer of lasagna sheets.
- 19Repeat the beef sauce and cheese sauce two more times, then a final layer of sheets.
- 20Spread the remaining cheese sauce (there should be about 1 cup) over the last layer of sheets, and sprinkle with the shredded parmesan cheese.
- 21Bake in a moderate oven for about 1 hour.
- 22Allow to stand about 15 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 563.7
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 89.2 mg
- Sodium 706.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 27.3 g